The quantitative analyse of summary amount of polysaccharides in leaves, stems and inflorescences of Vitex agnus-castus L. and Vitex cannabifolia Sieb.
Vitex agnus-castus L. and Vitex cannabifolia Sieb. are reported to have a plenty of pharmacological activities, but their biologically active compounds are not discovered enough. The aim of present study was quantitative analysis of summary amount of water-soluble polysaccharides, pectines and hemicelluloses in leaves, stems and inflorescences of these herbals.
We applied method based on combination of separation by Beily method and Dreiwood’s spectrophotometric analysis of polysaccharides. Also we made quantitative analysis of water-soluble polysaccharides in these raw material using gravimetric method. The components of carbohydrate complexes after hydrolysis have been researched by thin layer chromatography.
We have found arabinose, galactose and glucose in hydrolysate of water-soluble polysaccharides, and galacturonic acid – in those of pectines and hemicelluloses. The highest amounts of pectines and hemicelluloses were found in leaves of V. cannabifolia (accordingly 2,49% and 3,25%), while the highest range of water-soluble polysaccharides (6,03%) was found in stems of V. agnus-castus.
Also it was noticed, that gravimetric method of quantitative analysis of water-soluble polysaccharides is less accurate, than combined Beily-Dreiwood one, although it could be recommended as a fast analysis in screening researches. We realized inflorescences and leaves of V. cannabifolia have the highest amount of polysaccharides among discovered types of raw material.
2. Ganapaty S., Vidyadhar K.N. Phytoconstituents and biological activities of Vitex - a review // J. Natural Remedies. - 2005 - V. 5, N 2. - P. 75-95.
3. Tsurkan O. O., Kovalchuk T.V., Burmaka O.V. Identification and quantitation of polysaccharides in the flowers of the clover of the ray // Pharmac. journ - 2008. - No. 6. - P. 109-113.
4. Olenikov D. N., Tanhaeva L. M. Method of quantitative determination of the group composition of carbohydrate complex of plant objects // Chemistry Rast. raw materials - 2006. - No. 4. - P. 29-33.
5. State Pharmacopoeia of the USSR: Issue. 2. General methods of analysis. Medicinal herbal raw material / Ministry of Health of the USSR. - 10th ed., Additional. - Moscow: Medicine, 1968. - 815 p.
6. Konovalova O.Yu., Jan T.V., Shuraeva T.K. and others. Investigation of the content of polysaccharides and tannins in flowers of various species and varieties of chanemeles Chaenomeles Lindl. // Phytotherapy - 2009. - No. 3. - P. 64-65.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.