Histological study of the drug PEG-Filstim sub-acute toxicity
One of the critical steps in development of safe and efficient drugs during their pre-clinical trials are toxicity studies.
Therefore, the aim of our work was to study PEG-Filstim toxic effects on animal internal organs and tissues.
Toxicity study of PEG-Filstim was performed in 50 white wild-type rats of both sexes with body weight of 170 to 230 g on daily (28 days) subcutaneous administration in the doses of 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 mg/kg. In all groups of animals, after completing the experiment careful pathomorphologic and histological examination was performed.
PEG-Filstim has been shown to possess no toxic effects on internal organs of laboratory rats and does not cause specific changes in the heart, kidneys and mucous coat of stomach on daily subcutaneous administration in the doses of 0.5, 1.0, and 2.0 mg/kg within 28 days. In the maximum applied dose of 2.0 mg/kg, the studied drug causes pronounced acute splenic hyperplasia, related to hyper-proliferation of the reticular tissue, leads to functional strain of the liver due to formation of hematopoietic foci in it, as well as impaired integrity of the respiratory epithelium and congestive signs in the lungs, swelling of the brain tissues, abnormalities in the gray matter structure and hyperemia of the brain vessels. These effects were not observed in the animals, to which the drug was administered in the doses of 0.5 and 1.0 mg/kg. Administration of PEG-Filstim (in all studied doses) results in increasing the size of the ankle joint in rats, which is related to hyper-proliferation of the reticular tissue, leading to bone defect formation in the form of perforation with subsequent filling the periosteum with reticular tissue and formation of hematopoietic foci within its boundaries.
2. Wang X. J., Chan A. Optimizing Symptoms and Management of Febrile Neutropenia among Cancer Patients: Current Status and Future Directions // Curr. Oncol Rep. - 2017 - N 19 (3). - P. 20.
3. Lord B. I., Woolford L. B., Molineux G. Kinetics of neutrophil production in normal and neutropenic animals during response to filgrastim (r-metHuG-CSF) or filgrastim SD / 01 (PEG-r-metHuG-CSF) // Clin. Cancer Res. - 2001. - V. 7. - P. 2085-2090.
4. Cooper K. L., Madan J., Whyte S. et al. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factors for febrile neutropenic prophylaxis following chemotherapy: systematic review and meta-analysis // BMC Cancer. - 2011. - N 23 (11). - P. 404.
5. Kubo K., Miyazaki Y., Murayama T. et al. A randomized, double-blind trial of pegfilgrastim versus filgrastim for the management of neutropenia during CHASE (R) chemotherapy for malignant lymphoma // Br. J. Haematol. - 2016. - V. 174 (4). - P. 563-570.
6. Yang B. B., Kido A. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of pegfilgrastim. // clin Pharmacokinetic. - 2011. - V. 50 (5). - P. 295-306.
7. Holmes F. A., Jones S. E., O'Shaughnessy J. et al. Comparable efficacy and safety profiles of once-per-cycle pegfilgrastim and daily injection of filgrastim in hemotherapy-induced neutropenia: a multicenter dose-finding study in women with breast cancer // Ann. Oncol - 2002. - V. 13 (6). - P. 903-909.
8. Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 944 of 14.12.2009 "Procedure for conducting pre-clinical study of medicinal products and examination of materials for preclinical study of medicinal products".
9. Stefanov O., Bukhtiarova T., Kovalenko V. and others. Instruction CT-NMOSU 42-6.0: 2008. Medicines. Good laboratory practice (official publication). - K. Morion, 2009. - P. 37-68.
10. European convention for the protection of vertebrate animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes: Council of Europe, 18.03.1986. - Strasbourg, 1986. - 52 p.
11. Pre-clinical research of drugs: method. recommendations / Ed. O. V. Stefanova. - K .: Avicenna, 2001. - 528 p.
12. Product Monograph. Neulasta® (pegfilgrastim). Sterile Solution for Injection (Subcutaneous Use Only) 6 mg (10 mg / mL). - Amgen Canada Inc., Date of Authorization: 21. 06. 2012. - 26 p.
13. Romais B. Microscopic technique. - M .: Izd. Of foreign. Literature, 1953. - 718 p.
14. Volkova O.V., Yeletsky Yu.K. Fundamentals of Histology and Histology. - Moscow: Medicine, 1971. - P. 201-204.
15. Rebrova O. Yu. Statistical analysis of medical data. Application of the STATISTICA application package. 3rd ed. - M .: Media Sphere, 2006. - 312 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.