Synthesis, antibacterial and antifungal activity of 1-[4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethylbutyl)phenoxy]-3-dialkylamino-2-propanol quaternary salts
The emergence and spread of resistant strains of pathogens as well as reduction of the efficacy of current antimicrobial agents requires the development of novel antimicrobial compounds.
The aim of the present study was synthesis and evaluation of antimicrobial activity of new arylaliphatic aminopropanols.
The objects of the present study were 1-[4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethylbutyl)phenoxy]-3-dialkylamino-2-propanol quaternary salts (compounds I–XIV).
Compounds synthesis was carried out by heating of precursor epoxide and excessive amount of appropriate amines in isopropanole, followed by treatment with excess of alkyl halides. Methods of elemental analysis, IR- and PMR-spectroscopy were used for confirmation of chemical structure. Antimicrobial activity against Staphylococcus аureus АTCC 25923, Escherichia coli ATCC 25922, Pseudomonas aeruginosa АТСС 27853 and Candida albicans NCTC 885/653 was determined by a broth dilution method and evaluated via minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC).
Our investigation of antibacterial and antifungal activity of 1-[4-(1,1,3,3-tetra methylbutyl)phenoxy]-3-dialkylamino-2-propanol quaternary salts showed that compounds possess narrow spectrum, as well as broad spectrum action. Significant antimicrobial activity of the novel aryl aliphatic aminoalcohols indicates their potential usage as a component of new antimicrobial drugs.
2. De Souza Mendes C. U., De Souza Antunes A. M. Pipeline of Known Chemical Classes of Antibiotics // Antibiotics. – 2013. – N 2. – Р. 500–534.
3. Mishra N. N., McKinnell J., Yeaman M. R. et al. In Vitro Cross-Resistance to Daptomycin and Host Defense Cationic Antimicrobial Peptides in Clinical Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates // Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. – 2011. – V. 55, N 9. – P. 4012–4018.
4. My N., Gross C. H., Parsons J. D. et al. In Vitro Characterization of the Antibacterial Spectrum of the Novel Bacterial Type II Topoisomerase Inhibitors of the Aminobenzimidazole Class // Ibid. – 2006. – V. 50, N 4. – Р. 1228–1237.
5. Freiberg C., Pohlmann J., Nell P. G. et al. Novel Bacterial Acetyl Coenzyme A Carboxylase Inhibitors with Antibiotic Efficacy In Vivo // Ibid. – 2006. – V. 50, N 8. – Р. 2707–2712.
6. Panchal1 R. G., Ulrich R. L., Lane D. et al. Novel Broad-Spectrum Bis-(Imidazolinylindole) Derivatives with Potent Antibacterial Activities against Antibiotic-Resistant Strains // Ibid. – 2009. – V. 53, N 10. – Р. 4283–4291.
7. Jabés D., Brunati C., Candiani G. et al. Efficacy of the New Lantibiotic NAI-107 in Experimental Infections Induced by Multidrug-Resistant Gram-Positive Pathogens // Ibid. – 2011. – V. 55, N 4. – Р. 1671–1676.
8. Butler M. M., Williams J. D., Peet N. P. et al. Comparative In Vitro Activity Profiles of Novel Bis-Indole Antibacterials against Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Clinical Isolates // Ibid. – 2010. – V. 54, N 9. – Р. 3974–3977.
9. Brief Yu. V., Vrynchanu N. A., Maksimov Yu. N., Lozinsky M. O. Synthesis, antimicrobial activity of 1- (4- (1-adamantyl) phenoxy) -3-amino-2-propanol // Chem.-Pharm. Journ. – 2009. – V. 43, N 6. – P. 10–13.
10. Short Yu. V., Vrynchanu N. A., Maksimov Yu. N., Lozinsky M. O. Synthesis, antimicrobial and antifungal activity of quaternary salts of adamantane-containing alkoxydialkylaminopropanols // Ibid. – 2011. – V. 45, N 1. – P. 21–23.
11. Patent for invention N 104048. 1-[4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethylbutyl) phenoxy]-3-(N-benzyl-4-methylpiperidine)-2-propanol chloride / Short Yu. V., Vrinchanu N. O., Dudikova D. M., Mischenko O.V ., Smertenko O. A. – Received. 03. 03. 2012; Pubwished 25. 12. 2013, Bull. N 24.
12. Patent for invention N 104910. 1-[4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethylbutyl) phenoxy]-3-(N-trimethylamino)-2-propanol iodide / Short Yu. V., Vrinchanu N. O., Vrinchanu N. V., Smertenko O. A. – Received. 25.10.2013; Pubwished 25th of March, 2014, Bul. N 5.
13. Determination of the sensitivity of microorganisms to antibacterial drugs: Method. instructions of the MUK 4.2.1890-04 // Klin. Microbial. Antimicrobial. Chemotherapist. – 2004. – V. 6, N 4. – P. 306–359.
14. Document E.DEF 7.2: Method for the determination of broth dilution of antifungal agents for fermentative yeasts. – 2012 [Electronic resource]. – Access: http://www.eucast.org/antifungal_susceptibility_testing_afst/methods_of_antifungal_susceptibility_testing/susceptibility_testing_of_yeasts/
15. Buchta V., Pour M., Kubanov P. In Vitro Activities of 3-(Halogenated Phenyl)-5-Acyloxymethyl- 2,5-Dihydrofuran-2-ones against Common and Emerging Yeasts and Molds // Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. – 2004. – V. 48, N 3. – Р. 873–878.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.