Study of extraction efficiency of prenylated flavonoids from hops raw (Humulus lupulus L.) by the ethanol containing extraction solvents
Development of technology of the hop dry extract as APIs provided for a detailed study and identification of factors that can affect the quality characteristics of the finished product.
The goal of this study was to investigate the effect of ethanol concentration in the water alcohol extraction solvent on the extraction efficiency of prenylated flavonoids from the thermal pretreated and fat-free hop cones.
The investigated samples of extracts obtained according to the general process scheme which included the following steps: thermal isomerization of prenylated chalcones to corresponding prenylated flavanones, removal of lipophilic compounds from thermal pre-treated raw material by n-hexane extraction, extraction of the defatted raw material by the ethanol containing extraction solvent, evaporation and drying of water-ethanol extract in vacuum. Extraction steps were performed using filtration extraction method. As extraction solvents on the second extraction step were 50%, 70% and 90% (vol.) ethanol solutions.
Efficacy of water-ethanol extraction solvents was evaluated by the yield of extractable matter, yield and quantitative content of the xanthohumol (X), isoxanthohumol (IX), 8-prenylnaringenin (8-PN) and 6-prenylnaringenin (6-PN) in the obtained dry extracts. The HPLC method was used for assay.
According to the study 70% (vol.) ethanol showed the highest efficiency, its extraction ability was evaluated by the highest yield of 8-PN (0,023%) and yield of extractable matter (25,71%) as well as aggregate content of xanthohumol (2,226%), isoxanthohumol (0,405%), 8-prenylnaringenin (0,091%) and 6-prenylnaringenin (0,261%) in the dry extract.
2. Voluntary O. O., Shalamay AS, Shmatenko O. P., Protsenko LV Investigation of hop varieties as raw material of extract with high content of prenil flavonoids // Farmats. a magazine - 2014 - # 2 (30). - P. 11-16.
3. Shmatenko O. P., Volovlynov O. O., Savitsky V. L., Strashny V. V. Study of extrapolation conditions of substances of lipophilic nature from hops supernatural / Problems of military health care. Zb sciences works of the Ukrainian Military Medical Academy. - K .: Ukrainian Military Medical Academy, 2013. - Vip. 40. - S. 282-289.
4. Dobrovolnyi O. O. The study of the dependence of the prenyl flavonoids content in the hop dry extract on temperature parameters of its obtaining // News of Rharmacy. - 2014 - N 3 (79). - P. 20-24.
5. Voluntary O. O., Shmatenko O. P., Slobodyanyuk Yu. O. Investigation of the process of extraction of xanthohumol, isosanthumol, 8-prenylnaringenin and 6-prenilnaringenin from raw hops // Military Medicine of Ukraine. - 2013. - Vol. 13, No. 4. - P. 86-92.
6. State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine. - The first view. - Kharkiv: State Enterprise "Scientific-Expert Pharmacopoeial Center", 2004. - Supplement. 1st - 520 s.
7. Dhooghe L., Naessens T., Heyerick A. et al. Quantification of xanthohumol, isoxanthohumol, 8-prenylnaringenin, and 6-prenylnaringenin in hopex tracts and derived capsules in gsecondary standards // Talanta. - 2010. - V. 83, Iss. 2 - P. 448-456.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.