Pharmacoeconomic evaluation of glaucoma treatment by the «cost‒effectiveness» method
Primary open-angle glaucoma is one of the most common ocular pathologies that leads to irreversible vision loss in the absence of rational treatment. The disease is characterized by a high degree of disability and a significant deterioration in the patients’ quality of life. Therefore, the rational purpose of antiglaucoma medications and scientific basis of their cost-effective use is one of the urgent problems of modern medicine and pharmacy.
Insufficient number of foreign research and the lack of information in the domestic sources for comparative pharmacoeconomic analysis and justification destination of antiglaucoma drugs has been found as the result of information search. So this problem became the purpose of the study.
The «cost–effectiveness» method was used to justify the choice of the most rational scheme of primary open-angle glaucoma treatment. This method includes an assessment of both economic (cost of the drug), and clinical effectiveness of antiglaucoma drugs.
The weighted average retail price index of products and DDD had been used to determine the economic component. The effectiveness indicator was the decrease level of intraocular pressure after 1 month from the beginning of glaucoma treatment regimen.
Pharmacoeconomic analysis by the «cost–effectiveness» method was held for the 5 most commonly prescribed mono- and combined рrimary open-angle glaucoma pharmacotherapy schemes which were effective in achieving the target intraocular pressure that was found in a previous study.
The results of the «cost‒effectiveness» analysis have made it possible to determine the choice of pharmacotherapy antiglaucoma scheme «Arutimol eye drops 0,5% 5 ml (Chauvin ankerpharm, Germany) + Taflotan eye drops 15 mkg/ml 2.5 ml N 1 (Santen, Finland)» as the most economically justified by the perspective of financial costs for rational pharmacotherapy efficient ensuring the achievement of the target intraocular pressure.
The obtained data can be used in building effective models of reimbursement costs of pharmaceutical care provided to patients with рrimary open-angle glaucoma in the conditions of the of social health insurance introduction in Ukraine.
2. Damji K. F., Freedman S., Moroi S. E. Shields' Textbook of Glaucoma. 6th ed. - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010 - 656 p.
3. Global Initiative for the Elimination of Avoidable Blindness: Action Plan 2006-2011 [Electronic resource]. - Access mode: http://www.who.int/blindness/Vision2020_report.pdf
4. Makarenko O.V., Krivyaz O.V. Evaluation of quality of life of patients with primary open-angle glaucoma // Mat. scientific conf. "Modern Pharmacy: Theory, Practice, Experiments". Russia, Moscow, November 26-28, 2014 - P. 48-53.
5. Vorobiev, P.A., Avksentyeva MV, Yuryev AS, and others. Clinical and economic analysis. - M .: Newdiamed, 2004. - 404 pp.
6. Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated 23.11.2011 No. 816 "On approval and implementation of medical-technological documents on the standardization of medical care on the basis of evidence-based medicine" [Electronic resource]. - Mode of access: www.moz.gov.ua/ua/portal/dn_20111123_816.html
7. Rikov S.O., Shpak G.V., Lavrik N.S. et al. Organization of ophthalmologic help. Regulatory and Legal Support. Directory of the doctor "Ophthalmologist": Teaching method. manual / ed. S.O. Rikova. National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education named after P. L. Shupik, OO Bohomolets National Medical University. - K .: Library "Health of Ukraine", 2013 - 498 p.
8. Glaucoma is the primary open-angle. Adapted clinical guidance, based on evidence [Electronic resource]. - Access mode: www.dec.gov.ua/mtd/dodatki/816/816dod4_2.doc
9. Compendium on-line [Electronic resource]. - Mode of access: http://compendium.com.ua.
10. Makarenko O.V., Krivyaz O.V., Krivyaz S.O. Comparison of course doses of anti-glucose drugs in DDD / per year / per patient and their value for choosing an effective and economically affordable treatment // Clin . pharmacy. - 2014. - No. 3. - P. 25-30.
11. Kryvoviaz O. Antiglaucoma pharmacotherapy: analysis of treatment regimens and efficacy indicators // Science Rise. - 2016 - N 3/4 (20). - P. 46-50.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.